Doctorate in Human and Organizational Learning
Transform the Future of Leadership & Learning
Become a change leader with the capacity to transform organizations and systems. Established in 1958, the Human and Organizational Learning program aims to develop scholar/practitioners committed to learning and development. Through rigorous research, an emphasis on critically reflective practices, and bridging scholarship with the real world, our interdisciplinary curriculum offers a unique space to enhance organizational leadership capacities and competencies. Graduates benefit from multiple perspectives from which to make decisions, strategize, lead, learn, and grow.
Typically, students are working professionals in mid- or senior-level positions. Students bring a variety of educational backgrounds, with degrees in fields such as business, education, engineering, psychology, and technology.
Leading Faculty & Professional Peers
Engage in learning communities that draw upon real-world experiences shared by classmates with a broad range of diverse perspectives and professional backgrounds. Faculty are hands-on and highly regarded as scholar-practitioners and experts in the field.
The diverse work contexts of our students and alumni make for a lively and engaging learning community both during and after the program. Cross-sector perspectives can inform dissertation research, and the diverse network of GW alumni offers mentoring and employment opportunities.
A hybrid format delivers a refined, curated curriculum proven to maximize investment for students. Three long-weekend residencies will be required, two at VSTC campus and one at Foggy Bottom campus. Synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences will occur in between.
A History of Excellence
Established in 1958 as the first program in this multidisciplinary field in the US, the HOL department is a two-time recipient of the Academy of Human Resource Development’s “Outstanding Program” Award.
Take advantage of our unique location in the heart of our nation’s capital. Our connections to influential and multi-sector organizations and institutions provide access to information and research sites and collegial networks of likeminded professionals. Our extensive alumni network, built over decades of doctoral education, is a valuable resource for learning development and doctoral research.
Doctor of Education (EdD) in the field of Human and Organizational Learning
Human and Organizational Learning
- Our Mission
The mission of our program is to:
- Increase the learning capacity of individuals, organizations, and communities
- Optimize individual, organizational, and community resilience, effectiveness, and equity
- Develop scholar/practitioners with the capacity to design and execute research with meaningful practice implications
- Updated curriculum coming soon -
GSEHD’s Office of Admissions invites you to apply for a spot in our program. Please review the following admission and financial information.
Ready to take the next step in your career? Review our step-by-step guide to applying to GSEHD >
To learn more about the program, admission process, and upcoming events, please connect with the GSEHD Admissions Team at email@example.com or 202-994-9283.
|Apply Now||Schedule Consultation with Admissions Counselor|
To be considered for admission, applicants must submit the online application form as well as the following required supporting documents. There is no application fee.
Prerequisite: Master's Degree
- Submit a statement of purpose that addresses questions such as: Why are you applying for this doctoral program now? How will this degree contribute towards your personal and professional goals? And what are your background and related qualifications that have prepared you for this doctoral program.
- Two Letters of Recommendation (academic and/or professional)
Transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
Applications are now being accepted for Fall 2023. We encourage you to apply as early as possible.
|Fall Application Deadlines|
|Priority Deadline||Nov 1|
|Round 1 Deadline||Dec 15|
|Round 2 Deadline||Jan 16|
|Round 3 Deadline||March 1|
|Round 4 Deadline||May 1|
The HOL program helped me navigate my career to a place of purpose. I was a bored CPA when I started on my doctoral journey. Now, I am an industrial and organizational psychologist who has spoken on the international stage. In addition, my published research has been cited by scholars all over the world.
DR. RUSSELL ROBINSON
Ed.D. ’18 (Human and Organizational Leadership)
There is a growing need for change leaders who can help to build organizational sustainability. Graduates of our program drive leadership and organizational change initiatives around the globe in all types of organizations. Our vast alumni network is proud to connect students with industry leaders and professional networks.
- Human and Organizational Learning Career Opportunities
- Senior Vice President of Human Resources
- Chief of Civilian Talent Development
- VP Global Learning & Leadership
- Chief Learning Officer
- Director of Leadership Coaching
- Instructional Design Leader
- Leadership Instructor
- Potential Employment Settings
Students graduate from the program prepared to lead in multiple settings. Our recent graduates include:
- Senior Vice President, Human Resources, Capitol One
- Chief of Civilian Talent Development , US Army
- Leadership Instructor, US Air Force
- VP Global Learning & Leadership, Marriott
- Chief Learning Officer, Deloitte
- Director, Leadership Coaching, Center of Excellence
- Instructional Design Leader, IBM