International Applicants




Unlock Your Global Potential: Join Our Diverse Community of International Scholars

The George Washington University is home to a diverse student community, welcoming students from all over the world. GSEHD is proud to be the educational home to students from 38 countries.

The information below will guide you through the process of becoming an international student at the Graduate School of Education and Human Development (GSEHD).

For additional questions, please contact GSEHD Admissions at or 202-994-9283. To learn more about the process for international students and to access additional resources, visit the International Services Office (ISO) website.


 Applying to GSEHD

International applicants should follow the same admission process as outlined on our How to Apply page. In addition, you may be required to submit official transcript evaluations as well as English Language Test scores.

 Helpful Application Tips:

  • Be sure to provide your full legal name, as listed in your passport. If your transcripts or other supporting documents were issued in another name, also include that name on your application and attach a letter of explanation and evidence of the name change.
  • Include a photocopy of the biographic/identification page of your passport with your application.

Follow Our Step-By-Step Guide to Applying >



International Transcripts

If you attended a university outside the United States, your transcript must be evaluated by an accredited NACES member. The evaluation (course by course) should be a detailed document including all course titles, credit hours, grades, grade point averages (GPAs), United States degree equivalency, and date of degree conferral. The transcript evaluation should be official, meaning that it is sent from the NACES member or delivered to GSEHD Admissions in a sealed and signed envelope. 

We do not require the transcript from the school itself, only the transcript evaluation.





English Language Proficiency


Applicants who do not have a conferred degree from the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom are required to submit proof of English proficiency via an official testing service (TOEFL, IELTS, or DuoLingo). Tests must be taken within 2 years from the intended term of entry.

Minimum Required Scores:

To be considered for admission:
  • Academic IELTS: an overall band score of 6.0 with no individual score below 5.0
  • TOEFL: 550 on paper based or 80 in internet-based test
  • DuoLingo: a minimum score of 110
To be considered for a graduate assistantship or University fellowship:
  • Academic IELTS: an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0
  • TOEFL: 600 on paper based or 100 in internet-based test
  • DuoLingo: a minimum score of 120


English for Academic Purposes Course (EAP)

If you do not meet the required English Language Test scores noted below, then you will be required to register for an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course during your first semester at GW. In the first EAP class meeting, you will be given the EAP Diagnostic Test to confirm correct EAP placement. You should anticipate additional tuition expenses as well as a possible extended period of time required to complete your degree program.

Minimum score to waive the EAP requirement:
  • Academic IELTS: an overall band score of 7.0 with no individual score below 6.0
  • TOEFL: 600 on paper based or 100 in internet-based test
  • DuoLingo: an overall score of 120


Submitting Scores

Please contact your testing service to have your official scores sent to us via the following methods:

  • TOEFL: Enter GW’s school code, 5246
  • IELTS: Select the George Washington University
  • DuoLingo: Send your scores to GW from your account by following these instructions.





Student Visa Process

Once admitted and you accept the offer, you must follow the Student Visa Process below to gain entry into the United States. Please note, the process to obtain a student visa from a U.S. consulate abroad usually takes a minimum of 3 months.

Step 1: Visa Request Form

Complete the Visa Request Form (VRFC).

Step 2: Submit Financial Supporting Document

Applicants must demonstrate proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational expenses for one academic year via bank statements or government sponsorship. One academic year is the total cost of attendance as calculated on the bottom of the first page of the Visa Request Form, which includes tuition and fees, living expenses, books, insurance, etc.

Bank statements must:

  • Demonstrate liquid assets ONLY. We do NOT accept credit cards, investments, property equity, etc.
  • Be provided in English or be accompanied with a translated document.
  • Show checking and/or savings accounts.
  • Include the bank’s address, phone number, date, currency, and current balance.
  • Display the full legal name of the sponsor, as listed on the passport/application.
  • Be no older than 12 months.

Government Sponsorship:

If sponsored by your government, please disregard the bank statement requirement. In lieu of the bank statement you will need to provide the official guarantee form as issued by the government sponsor. The guarantee form will need to include: your legal name, program name (i.e. Ed.D. in Special Education), and should clearly articulate the expenses that will be covered (i.e. tuition, living expenses, etc).

Step 3: Submit Copy of Passport

Applicants and dependents (if applicable) seeking sponsorship must submit a legible copy of the biographical page of their passport.

Note: The passport must NOT expire within six months from the start of your program and must match the name used in the Visa Request Form.

Step 4: Complete the Dependent Information Form (if applicable)

If you are bringing a dependent with you (i.e. spouse or child), please be sure to complete and submit the Dependent Information Form. Along with the Dependent Information Form, copies of the passport biographical page (for each dependent) is required.

To process an I-20 for dependents, you will need to certify additional funding to cover the living expenses of each dependent. The required amount per dependent can be found on the Dependent Information Form.

*Information is subject to change. Please consult with an admissions officer.

Step 5: Request a SEVIS Transfer (if applicable)

If you will be joining GW after attending another SEVP-certified school in the US, you may be eligible for a SEVIS transfer (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System ID number). The following steps will assist you in requesting a SEVIS transfer:

  • Upon admission, you will need to submit a GW SEVIS Transfer-in Form. Complete the "student" portion and sign it.
  • In order to grant GW access to your I-20, submit the GW SEVIS Transfer-in form to your international advisor at your current institution. The GW Transfer form must be completed by the school official and submitted to the following e-mail: (note: the SEVIS release date (Question #8) must be indicated on the form).
  • Once submitted, a GW official will determine if you are eligible for a SEVIS transfer.
  • After your SEVIS transfer release date, GW will be able to access your SEVIS record, and GW will create a new I-20 for you.
  • You are required to report to GW's International Services Office (ISO) within 15 days of the reporting date on your I-20, or you may risk losing your immigration status.

*GW's SEVIS School Code is WAS214F00020000. Please use this code upon submission.

Additional Requirements:

International applicants currently in the United States must also submit:

  • A legible copy of your current United States Visa
  • A legible copy of your most recent I-94 entry card
  • If you were in F-1 or J-1 status in the past, copies of your previous I-20 or DS-2019 and accompanying I-94’s are needed.

Students on F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT), should also submit:

  • A copy of the Employment Authorization Card (EAD)
  • OPT Forfeit Letter (expressing the date the student will stop working and the transfer I-20 can be issued)

Please email the ISO if:

  • You'd like to request a SEVIS transfer, but you are outside the US.
  • You'd like to request a SEVIS transfer but you have been outside the US or have not attending classes in the last five months.
  • You have questions about how a SEVIS transfer will impact your visa foil or SEVIS I-901 fee.
Step 6: Save and Submit

Please be sure to save and submit all your documents to your designated admissions officer by the deadline.

For questions or concerns, please contact GSEHD Admissions at or 202-994-9283.





Financial Aid

International Students must have a Green Card to be eligible for U.S. federal financial aid.

Students holding F1, F2, F3, or other visas can qualify for Institutional aid, but only after taking 30 credits at GW.

All international students are eligible for GSEHD merit scholarships.

As full funding is rare, most international students receive partial merit scholarships and finance the remainder of their education with external funding.

Learn More About Funding Opportunities >



Admissions Home  |  Apply  |  How to Apply  |  Request Info  |  Events  |  Visit Campus  |  Funding  |  Admitted  |  Contact