GSEHD Visa Request Process
Visa Request Form
A completed Visa Request Form (VRFC). The Visa Request Form needs to be legible, fully completed, and submitted by the deadline.
Financial Supporting Document
Applicants should submit the Financial Supporting Documents demonstrating proof of sufficient funding to cover all educational costs (tuition & fees, living expenses, books & insurance, etc).
Students who have a sponsor only need to show proof of funding for one academic year. Otherwise, a student who is self-supported will need to show sufficient funding to cover all educational expenses for the full length of your program. One academic year is the total cost of attendance as calculated on the bottom of the first page of the Visa Request Form.
Financial Supporting Documents must:
• Bank statements must demonstrate liquid assets ONLY. We do NOT accept credit cards, investments, property equity, etc.
• Bank statements must read in English or be accompanied with a translated document.
• Bank statements must show checking or savings accounts.
• Bank statements must include the bank’s address, phone number, date, currency, and current balance
• Bank statements must read the full legal name of the sponsor, as listed on the passport/application
• Bank statements must be no older than 12 months
If sponsored by your government, please disregard the bank statement requirement. In lieu of the bank statement you will need to provide the official guarantee form as issued by the government sponsor. The guarantee form will need to include: your legal name, program name (i.e. Ed.D. in Special Education), and should clearly articulate the expenses that will be covered (i.e. tuition, living expenses, etc).
Applicants and dependents (if applicable) seeking sponsorship must submit a legible copy of the biographical page of their passport.
Note: The passport must NOT expire within six months from the start of your program and must match the name used in the Visa Request Form.
Dependents (if applicable)
If you are bringing a dependent with you (i.e. spouse or child), please be sure to complete and submit the Dependent Information Form. Along with the Dependent Information Sheet, copies of the passport biographical page (for each dependent) is required.
To process an I-20 for dependents, you will need to certify additional funding to cover the living expenses of each dependent. The required amount per dependent can be found on the Dependent Information Form.
*Information is subject to change. Please consult with an admissions officer.
SEVIS Transfer (if applicable)
Upon admission, you will need to submit a GW SEVIS Transfer-in Form. The following steps will assist you in having your SEVIS transferred to GW:
1. You should fill the student portion of the form and sign it.
2. To request a SEVIS transfer, you will need to grant GW access to your I-20. Therefore, please give your GW Transfer form to your current international advisor. The GW Transfer form must be completed by the school official and submitted to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (note: the SEVIS release date (Question #8) must be indicated on the form).
3. Once submitted to GW (to the e-mail noted above), an official will determine if you are eligible for a SEVIS transfer.
4. After your SEVIS transfer release date, GW will be able to access your SEVIS record. Thereafter, GW will create a new I-20 for you.
*GW's SEVIS School Code is WAS214F00020000. Please use this code upon submission.
International applicants currently in the United States must also submit:
• A legible copy of your current United States Visa
• A legible copy of your most recent most I-94 entry card
• If you were in F-1 or J-1 status in the past, copies of your previous I-20 or DS-2019 and accompanying I-94’s are needed.
Students on F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT), should also submit:
• A copy of the Employment Authorization Card (EAD)
• OPT Forfeit Letter (expressing the date the student will stop working and the transfer I-20 can be issued)
Save & Submit
Please be sure to save, and submit all your documents to the designated admissions officer by the deadline.
Note: The following requirements should only be submitted if you have been offered admission and have accepted the offer.
For questions or concerns, please call: (202) 994-9283.