GSEHD Dissertation Defense Information
Fall 2023 Due Dates at a Glance
Timeline 1 (Graduate in Fall 2023):
October 18: Last day to submit dissertation materials for a fall 2023 graduation
November 17: Last day to defend for a fall 2023 graduation
December 8, 5pm: ProQuest submission deadline
Timeline 2 (Graduate in Spring 2024):
November 15: Last day to submit materials to defend during the fall semester
December 15: Last day to hold a defense during the fall semester
Timeline 3 (Graduate in Spring 2024):
- December 15: Last day to submit materials to enroll in CE during the spring 2024 semester
Materials Due for Dissertation Defense
- Request for Dissertation Oral Examination – Google Forms. While completing this form, which constitutes your formal submission of materials and request for defense, you will be asked to attach the following additional materials:
- Dissertation Approval Form
- CVs of any committee members who are not current GW faculty members, if not previously submitted
- Your completed dissertation in Word format. Please be sure that your dissertation is formatted correctly to ensure you will not have any issues with ProQuest upload and approval. Your dissertation must follow the University Formatting Guidelines and Digital Accessibility Guidelines, and must match the template provided on the GSEHD Style Guide.
- Submit an online Application for Graduation for the appropriate semester. All graduation application deadlines are listed on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
- For students following timelines 2 or 3, submit a Continuous Enrollment Form for the spring 2024 semester, filled out and submitted via email to email@example.com.
Please note, these materials must be submitted in full at least 30 days before your dissertation defense. Partial submissions cannot be accepted.
Full Information: Fall 2023 Due Dates and Timelines
During the fall 2023 semester, students can choose between two formats to defend their dissertation:
- A virtual defense, which will be conducted via a scheduled WebEx meeting.
- An in person defense, which will be conducted on either the Foggy Bottom or VSTC campus. One committee member (not the chair) may participate virtually. If more than one person plans to participate virtually, the defense must be held virtually. This policy is stated in the Doctoral Handbook and applies for the fall 2023 semester; it may be altered in future semesters.
Our due dates are driven by the university’s ProQuest submission deadlines, the date by which the university requires you to submit the final, approved version of your dissertation in order to graduate. The date of your ProQuest submission determines your graduation semester, regardless of when you defend. As a result, we provide several different defense timelines. Timeline 1 allows you to graduate this semester, while timelines 2 and 3 allow you to submit your dissertation materials this semester and graduate next semester at no additional cost.
- To be a fall 2023 graduate:
Students must submit all materials no later than October 18. The last day to defend is November 17. Your final document must be uploaded to ProQuest by December 8 at 5pm; this final deadline is set by the University provost. Please be aware that December 8 is a fixed deadline, so you will have less time to make your final edits if you choose a later defense date.
- To defend in fall 2023 and be a spring 2024 graduate:
Students who are unable to meet the summer graduation deadline but still wish to defend during the semester must submit all materials by November 15, making the final day to defend December 15. Students who follow this timeline will be spring 2024 graduates and can enroll in Continuous Enrollment (CE), a zero-credit, no-cost option, for the spring semester. Please note: international students living in the US are not eligible for CE; instead, they may take a reduced course load.
- To defend and graduate in spring 2024 while enrolled in CE:
December 15 will be the last day to submit materials for anyone who wishes to enroll in Continuous Enrollment (CE), a zero-credit, no-cost option, during the spring 2024 semester. Students who submit their materials by December 15 will schedule defenses in early spring and be spring graduates. Please note: international students living in the US are not eligible for CE; instead, they may take a reduced course load.
NB: Students who submit materials after December 15th can still defend and graduate in the spring 2024 semester, but will register and pay for normal dissertation research credits instead of enrolling in CE. You are not required to follow timeline 3 in order to graduate in spring 2024, unless you wish to enroll in CE or (for international students) a reduced course load.
These pathways apply for the fall 2023 semester only. Please note that because these three options have been provided, there will be no need for exceptions or extensions. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Dannels (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Spring 2024 Due Dates at a Glance
Timeline 1 (Graduate in Spring 2024):
- February 14: Last day to submit dissertation materials for a spring 2024 graduation
- March 15: Last day to defend for a spring 2024 graduation
- April 10, 5pm: ProQuest submission deadline
Timeline 2 (Graduate in Summer 2024):
- May 1: Last day to hold a defense during the spring semester (materials due 30 days in advance)
- May 1: Last day to submit materials to defend in the summer semester while enrolled in CE
Summer 2024 Due Dates at a Glance
Timeline 1 (Graduate in Summer 2024):
- June 19: Last day to submit dissertation materials for a summer 2024 graduation
- July 19: Last day to defend for a summer 2024 graduation
- August 15, 5pm: ProQuest submission deadline
Timeline 2 (Graduate in Fall 2024):
- August 15: Last day to hold a defense during the summer semester (materials due 30 days in advance)
- August 15: Last day to submit materials to defend in the fall semester while enrolled in CE