Dr. Jaehwa Choi
Dr. Jaehwa Choi
Associate Professor, Assessment, Testing, and Measurement
School: Graduate School of Education and Human Development
Jaehwa Choi is Associate Professor and Program Director of the Assessment, Testing, and Measurement Program in the Department of Educational Leadership. He is also the Executive Director of the Computer Adaptive Formative Assessment (CAFA) Laboratory (CAFA Lab, Inc.) and has conducted various Information and Communication Technology (ICT)-based assessment projects in collaboration with Samsung Electronics (Intelligence Solution Team), Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation (KICE; Assessment Advancement Team), Korea Research Institute for Educational Assessment (KRIEA), and others. His research interests and current projects include:
- Next Generation Assessment Models: Truncated or semi-truncated logistic (a.k.a., PTL or PSTL) item response theory models; Non-linear growth modeling for latent traits; assessment models for machine/artificial intelligence; Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) estimation methods, advanced structural equation models; hierarchical linear models.
- Intelligent Assessment Engineering Systems: Automatic item generation (AIG) using machine learning techniques; computer-adaptive formative assessment models; educational big data analytic systems; problem solving artificial intelligent (AI) System using Deep Learning Artificial Neural Network (DL ANN); diagnostic assessment system using DL ANN.
- Technology-enhanced STEM Education Applications: K-Math Workbook System using AIG (6 and 7 grades); CAFA Smart Assignment System for K-12 Math; Pathway to Advancement and Success in Statistics (PASS) System.
He has also authored or invented several assessment systems and statistical analysis software programs:
- CAFA AIG System (v 1.0 Beta): An innovative assessment tool that integrates cognitive and psychometric theories with assessment development theory and practices in order to generate assessment items using state-of-the-art technology. (http://AIG.CAFALab.com/)
- CAFA K-Math Workbook System (v 1.0 Beta): Computer Adaptive Formative Assessment Client Application for Common Core Math Workbook [Computer System]. CAFA Lab, Inc.
- CAFA Smart Assignment System (v 1.0 Beta): Computer Adaptive Formative Assessment Client Application for School Assignments [Computer System]. CAFA Lab, Inc.
- CAFA System (v 1.0 Beta): Computer Adaptive Formative Assessment System for Educational Services [Computer System]. CAFA Lab, Inc.
- BayesPCC (v 3.0.0): A stand-alone Microsoft Windows software program for estimating Polychoric correlation matrices using Bayesian estimation methods.
- ezra (v 1.0.0): A Microsoft Excel Add-In for test item analysis.
He served as co-chair (2010-2011) and chair (2011-2012) of the Structural equation modeling special interest group of the American Educational Research Association. He also served as a member of the constitution and by-laws committee (2009-2010) and treasurer (2011-2012) of the Korean-American Educational Researchers Association. He has taught dozens of assessment or quantitative methods workshops (e.g., Automatic Item Generation, Assessment Engineering, Multilevel Analysis, SPSS Syntax, etc.) in the United States and abroad.