At a Glance
- Additional dissertation credits required
Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
Human and Organizational Learning
Our program prepares learners to challenge assumptions through critical reflection, and foster group and self-directed learning. Theory, research, and practice are balanced throughout the curriculum. Students are encouraged to form learning communities to provide collective support, promote action learning, and model a learning culture. The HOL Doctoral Program is designed to provide professionals with a foundation in relevant theories, concepts, and practices. The HOL faculty is committed to providing quality education for professionals who are interested in facilitating change initiatives and in becoming more effective leaders and decision-makers.
The Foggy Bottom campus doctoral program offers evening classes for working professionals who wish to pursue part-time or full-time study. The curriculum focuses on organizational issues such as strategic change, transformational leadership, individual and group learning processes, organizational development, global and international issues, the humane organization, virtual organizations, meaning of work, and self-directed learning. In addition to completing the required coursework, students work with an advisor to create an individually designed program around the student's area of interest.
Students may begin the program in either the fall or spring semester, enrolling part-time or full-time. Courses are offered on weekday evenings and each course meets one night per week. The program is individually designed and most students complete the coursework within three-and-a-half years. Completion of the dissertation is variable and depends on the topic and depth of study.
The program focuses on increasing the learning capacity of individuals, teams, and organizations to optimize organizational growth and effectiveness.
- Students specialize in their areas of interest with seven elective courses, through individual assignments and in their dissertation research;
- Multi-disciplinary field drawing on psychology, sociology, business management, economics, education, anthropology, and science;
- Focus on knowledge creation;
- Diverse student body: professionals with ten plus years of experience in management and decision making positions (military, management consulting, high tech, industry, non-profit associations, corporate, manufacturing, engineering, federal government, and health care);
- Independent study, practicum and research projects are emphasized.
Learners put theory into practice with a comprehensive doctoral experience that includes lectures, readings, written assignments, group projects, case studies, organizational interventions, and individual research.