- Dr. Baum has written and spoken extensively on issues relating to college access, college pricing, student aid policy, student debt, affordability, and other aspects of higher education finance. Dr. Baum regularly teaches higher education finance and policy courses for the Higher Education Administration Program.
- Ph.D., Columbia University
- M.A., Columbia University
- B.A., Bryn Mawr College
- Baum, S & Ma, J. (2014). College affordability: What is it and how can we measure it? The Lumina Foundation.
- Baum, S. & Schwartz, S. (2013). Student aid, student behavior, and educational attainment. George Washington University Project on Understanding Student Behaviors: A Prerequisite to Understanding College Enrollment and Success,
- Baum, S. Kurose, C., & Ma, J. (2013). How college shapes Lives: Understanding the issues. Charles Kurose & Jennifer Ma, co-authors, The College Board
- Baum, S., & Scott-Clayton, J. (2013) Redesigning the Pell grant program for the twenty-first century. The Hamilton Project.
- Baum, S., McPherson, M., & Kurose, C. (2013, Spring) , An overview of American higher education," The Future of Children. 23(1)
- Baum, S. & Kurose, C. (2013). Community colleges in context: Exploring financing of two- and four-year institutions. " Charles Kurose co-author. Bridging the Higher Education Divide. The Century Foundation.
- Baum, S., Shireman, R., & Steele, P. (2012). How people think about college prices, quality, and financial aid." Change, 44(5).
- Baum, S. Trends in college pricing, 2002-2013 editions. The College Board.
- Baum, S. Kurose, C., & Ma, J. (2013). How college shapes lives: Understanding the issues. The College Board.
- Baum, S. Education pays: The benefits of higher education for individuals and society, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2014. The College Board.
- Baum, S. (2012). Beyond need and merit: Strengthening state grant programs . With the State Grant Aid Study Group. The Brooking Institution.
- Baum, S., Little, K., Ma, J. & Sturtevant, A. (2012) Simplifying student aid: What it would mean for states. The College Board
- Baum, S. & McPherson, M. (2011, July/August) Sorting to extremes." Change. pp.6-12.
- Baum, S. & Flores, S. (2011, Spring) Higher education and children in immigrant families." The Future of Children. 21(1): 171-193.
- Baum S., in Laura W. Perna, ed. (2010). Student work and the financial aid system," Understanding the Working College Student, Sterling, VA: Stylus.